BIBLE STUDY | LESSON 10: Jesus Returns to Earth
The second coming of Jesus was the great theme of the apostles. It is estimated that one in every 25 verses of the New Testament speaks of this event.
But Satan has sought to confuse people so that they will not be ready to meet Him. Before Jesus’ first coming in Bethlehem, Satan was successful in confusing the Jewish people by causing them to misapply the prophecies of His second coming to His first coming. As a result, few were ready to receive Him. Now He is applying the prophecies of Jesus’ first coming-such as the 70th week in Daniel 9-to His second coming. And again it is working effectively to deceive! Let us see what the Bible says about Jesus’ second coming.
- Before Jesus returned to heaven, what did He promise?
John 14:1-3 [Note: Jesus promised that He would receive us to Himself WHEN He came again-NOT BEFORE, in some secret rapture, as some people are teaching today. The Further-study verses are Rev. 22:1214; Heb. 9:28; 2 Tim. 4:8; 1 Peter 1:13; 5:4; 1 John 2:28; Ps. 50:3]
- How will Jesus come?
Acts 1:9-11 [Matt. 26:64; Mark 13:26; 14:62; Isa. 66:15; Ps. 104:3, 4]
- Will there be counterfeits of Jesus’ second coming?
Matt. 24:23-27 [ 2 Thess. 2:9, 10]
- How can we know when the real Christ has come?
Matt. 24:30, 31 [Ans: Everyone will see Him. There are many other identifying characteristics of Jesus' second coming described in the questions and verses below. See if you can list them all. Rev. 1:7]
- What work of judgment will Jesus do at His coming?
Matt. 25:31-34, 41, 46 [Ans: He will separate the righteous from the wicked and execute judgment upon the inhabitants of the earth. (The chronology of these events will be further detailed in Lesson 20.) Matt. 16:27; Ps. 50:3, 4; Isa. 66:15-17]
- What historical event did Jesus use to illustrate this separation?
Matt. 24:36-41 [Note: In this separation, those who were taken were taken away in death by the flood (verse 39), and the others were left alive in the ark. So will it be at Jesus' second coming. While people are doing common things, Jesus will come suddenly in judgment upon all. 2 Peter 3:37]
- While we cannot know the hour, can we know when Jesus’ coming is near?
1 Thess. 5:1-6 [ Matt. 24:32, 33]
- Will Christ’s coming be secret and silent, as a thief in the night?
2 Peter 3:10-12 [Ans. No, it will be a surprise as when a thief breaks in, but it will not be secret or silent-it will terrify the wicked as when a thief wreaks sudden carnage with great noise upon the household. Ps. 50:3; Isa. 66:15, 16]
- See if you can answer these questions from the following passage:
- At Jesus’ second coming, what will happen to the righteous who have previously died?
- What will happen to the righteous who are still living?
- Will His coming be silent?
1 Thess. 4:15-18 [ John 5:28, 29; 1 Cor. 15:51-55]
- What will happen to the kingdoms of the world when Jesus comes?
Dan. 2:44 [ Rev. 6:14-17; 16:19-21]
- What will happen to the wicked at Jesus’ second coming?
2 Thess. 1:7-9 [ 2 Thess. 2:8; 2 Peter 2:9]
- Will everyone who claims to be saved, be taken to heaven when Jesus comes?
Matt. 7:21-23 [ 2 Thess. 2:11, 12]
- What should we do to be ready for that day?
Titus 2:11-14 [ Luke 21:34-36]
Jesus’ second coming will be a sudden, all encompassing surprise to the world, at which time all will be eternally separated-some for everlasting destruction and some for eternal life.
Is the glorious appearing of Jesus your blessed hope?
Do you want Jesus to redeem you from every lawless deed, and to write His law of love and righteousness in your heart, so that you will rejoice to see His face?