BIBLE STUDY | LESSON 3: Satan, Our Enemy
In our last two lessons we learned how to develop a relationship with God. In this lesson we will study about Satan. Who is he? Is there really such a being? And if there is, has he existed from all eternity? Is he therefore another god, an enemy god, who is in conflict with Jehovah? We will answer these questions in this lesson.
- Where did Jesus say Satan came from?
Luke 10:18 [The Further-study verse is Jude 6]
- Why did Satan fall from heaven?
Isa. 14:1215 [2 Peter 2:4]
- How did Satan come into being, and what was he like?
Eze. 28:15 [Note: In verse 12 of this chapter Satan is referred to as the "king of Tyre." Just as the Lord was the real king behind the human ruler in Israel (I Chron. 29:23; Zeph. 3:5), so Satan was the real king behind the pagan kingdoms of Babylon and Tyre. Thus at certain points the prophecies of Isaiah 14 and Ezekiel 28 reflect in a graphic manner Satan's own characteristics. Col. 1:16; Ps.148:1,2,5].
- Since Satan was created as a holy and perfect angel, what change took place in him that caused him to be cast out of heaven?
Eze. 28:13, 14, 17 [Note: Satan was "perfect" until "iniquity was found" in him. Ezekiel 28:16 says, "You sinned . . . O covering cherub." Satan thus became the first sinner, or, according to 1 John 3:4, 8, the first transgressor of God's law. 1 John 3:8 says, "The Devil has sinned from the beginning." In other words, he was the originator of sin. Ps. 80:1; John 8:44]
- Who were expelled from heaven with Satan?
Rev. 12:7-9, 12 [ Matt. 25:41]
- How did this world become involved in Satan's rebellion?
Gen. 3:1-6 [Note: As Satan later worked through the king of Tyre, so in Eden he used a serpent as his medium. Therefore the “serpent” also became one of Satan’s titles (Rev. 12:9). [ Rom. 5:12]
- In the beginning, Adam was made the ruler over this world (Gen.1:26). But after Satan caused Adam to sin he lost that dominion. Who then claimed rulership of this world?
Luke 4:5-7 [ John 14:30; 2 Cor. 4:4; Eph. 6:12]
- What does Satan do to those who oppose truth?
2 Tim. 2:25, 26 [John 8:34-44; Eph. 2:13]
- What warning does Peter give to Christians living in the last days?
1 Peter 5:6-9 [Eph 6:10-18]
- How will Satan work in the last days, and who will he deceive?
2 Thess. 2:8-10 [Rev. 16:14]
- How will Satan disguise his work and workers in the last days?
2 Cor. 11:1315 [Matt. 4:5, 6]
- How can we overcome Satan?
Rev. 12:11 [1 John 3:4-8; James 4:7, 8]
Many people have wondered how a God of love could permit the sin and suffering in the world today. But God never intended it to be thus. God never made sin or suffering. He gave all His beings, including the angels, the power of choice; and one of those angels, the highest angel in heaven, chose to rebel.
Then our first parents joined him in that rebellion. Thus sin entered our planet. Satan is at war with God and is seeking through intrigue, deception, and force to cause our eternal destruction. The Bible reveals his plans and disguises. It also reveals a Savior–Jesus Christ–who will save us from Satan.
Will you study His Word and allow Him to save you from the wiles of the Devil?