All our lessons are about Jesus and His truth, but this is a special lesson on who Jesus is and what He wants to do for us.
Because of Satan's rebellion, and because Jesus loved us too much to leave us under Satan's control, Jesus left heaven and came to this earth to redeem all who want to be saved.
JESUS' DIVINITY AND PREEXISTENCE
- Shortly after Jesus was conceived within Mary, an angel explained His birth to Joseph and said He would be called Immanuel. What does Immanuel mean?
Matt. 1:21-23 [The Further-study verses are Col. 2:9; Isa. 9:6; Rev. 22:13]
- Where was Jesus before the world was formed?
John 17:4, 5 [John 8:58]
- What work did Jesus do in the beginning?
John 1:1-3 [Ans: He created all things. Col. 1:16, 17]
- What does Paul call Christ?
1 Cor. 10:4 [Ans: The Rock. 2 Sam. 23:3; Deut. 32:4; Ps. 18:2; 31:3; 42:9; 62:2, 6]
WHY JESUS CAME TO EARTH
- Why are all human beings, including ourselves, doomed?
Rom. 5:12 [Rom. 3:23; 6:23] Life is only in God, and only by remaining in harmony with God can life continue. Through sin, the inhabitants of this world have placed themselves out of harmony with God and have received the death penalty.
- What has Jesus done to pay the penalty for our sins?
Isa. 53:4-6 [John 1:29]
- What did Jesus have to do to take our place (i. e., become our substitute) and pay for our sins?
Phil. 2:5-8 [John 1:14; 1 Tim. 3:16; Heb. 2:14]
- Can we receive forgiveness by keeping God's law?
Rom. 3:20 [Gal. 2:16]
- If keeping the law will not save us, how can we be saved from our sins?
Acts 16:30, 31 [Note: Belief in Jesus involves more than a mere acknowledgement of His existance, for "even the demons believe" that (James 2:19). Saving belief means accepting Jesus as "the way, the truth, and the life" (John 14:6), and as our personal Lord and Savior. Matt. 1:21]
- When we accept Jesus as our Savior, what does God do with our "sins that were previously committed"?
Rom. 3:24, 25 [Note: When we accept Jesus as our Lord and Savior, He becomes our substitute and we are free from condemnation. From that point on, Christ will begin to mold and fashion us after His own likeness. Eph. 2:8]
- In order for us to be forgiven, a change must take place in our attitudes. We must be sorry for our sins. How can we become sorry (repentant) for our sins so that we can receive the merits of Christ's death in our behalf?
Acts 5:30, 31 [Ans: We cannot make ourselves sorry for our sins. We must come to Jesus just as we are, and He will give us both repentance and forgiveness. Rom. 2:4; 2 Cor. 7:10; Luke 24:47]
- Besides giving us repentance and forgiveness for the sins we have committed, what else does Jesus promise to do for us?
1 John 1:9 [Ans: To cleanse us. Eze. 36:25-29]
- How does God cleanse us from sin, transforming our characters?
Rom. 8:1-4, 13-14 [Ans: By giving us the same Spirit (that is, the same divine power) that kept Jesus from sin. 2 Cor. 5:21; Matt. 1:21; John 8:34-36]
- After Jesus came down to live and die in our behalf, where did He go and what is He doing for us today?
Heb. 4:14-16 [Ans: He went back to heaven to become our "High Priest" that He might help those who are weak and tempted and who call upon Him for help. Heb. 7:25; 2:17, 18; 6:19, 20]
- What motive prompted God to give us this wonderful friend and Savior, Jesus, who can save us from sin and give us eternal life?
John 3:16 [Acts 4:12; John 15:13; John 1:12; 1 John 3:1-3]
If you believe in Jesus as your Savior, He will give you repentance and forgiveness, and He will help you in every time of need. God loves you, and He wants you to live with Him forever. That is why He gave His only Son to die in your place. That is why Jesus is still ministering for you in heaven as your High Priest.
Will you accept Him as your Lord and Savior today?
Will you ask Jesus to come into your life and make you His child?
- BIBLE STUDY | LESSON 5: The New Birth
- BIBLE STUDY | LESSON 13: By What Standard Will We Be Judged?
- BIBLE STUDY | LESSON S-4: The New-Covenant Ceremonies
- BIBLE STUDY | LESSON 12: God’s Court
- BIBLE STUDY | LESSON 8: What Will the Next Life Be Like?
- BIBLE STUDY | LESSON 19: When Will the Judgement Begin?