This is our final lesson. We hope these lessons have indeed been steps to eternal life for you. Yet we are not through, for it is God’s plan that each person who obtains truth shall share it with others.
- After Jesus had finished His work on earth, what plan did He have for carrying His work forward?
John 17:18 [The Further-study verse is Matt. 16:24]
- Jesus came to save sinners. How did He do this?
John 17:3, 4 [John 14:6, 7, 10]
- Jesus’ first work was to reveal His Father’s character. This is to be our first work. What character traits (“fruits”) are we to develop?
Gal. 5:22, 23 [Note: “By the power of His grace manifested in the transformation of character the world is to be convinced that God has sent His Son as its Redeemer. No other influence that can surround the human soul has such power as the influence of an unselfish life.” MH 470. “The last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His [God’s] character of love…. In their own life and character they [the children of God] are to reveal what the grace of God has done for them.” COL 415, 416. Isa. 29:17-19; 32:15
- What character “fruits” does Peter say we should develop? Are all these developed at once?
2 Peter 1:5-11 [Eph. 2:19-22]
- What will God do to those who do not bear this fruit? What will He do to those who do?
John 15:1, 2 [Note: “The strongest argument in favor of the gospel is a loving and lovable Christian. To live such a life . . . costs at every step effort, selfsacrifice, discipline. It is because they do not understand this that many are so easily discouraged …. They pray for Christlikeness of character . . . and they are . . . placed in circumstances that seem to call forth all the evil of their nature…. Trials and obstacles are the Lord’s chosen methods of discipline and His appointed conditions of success…. He permits the fires of affliction . . . that they may be purified.” MH 470, 471. James 1:2-4]
- What connection must be maintained if one is to bear fruit to God’s glory?
John 15:4-8 [Eph. 3:17-21]
- How can we abide in Christ and grow in grace?
2 Peter 1:2-4 [Ans: Through daily (1) study of the Bible and Spirit of Prophecy, (2) prayer, (3) keeping Christ in our thoughts, and (4) praising God even in the midst of trials. John 6:56, 63; 17:17-19; Col. 1:9, 10; 1 Thess. 5:16-18; Isa. 55:7; 1 Peter 1:6, 7; James 1:2-4; Phil. 4:6-8]
- Beyond setting the example of a good life, Jesus sought opportunities to tell about salvation. What was His final commission to His disciples?
Matt. 28:18-20 [Mark 16:15, 16; Isa. 43:10; Matt. 24:14]
- What will Jesus do for us if we share our faith?
Matt. 10:32, 33 [Eze. 33:8, 9]
- Is it possible to have a “neutral” influence for Jesus?
Matt. 12:30 [Matt. 6:24]
- Who did Jesus promise to send to give power to our witness?
Acts 1:8 [John 14:12, 16-18]
- After Christ’s ascension, what condition among the disciples made it possible for God to give them the Holy Spirit?
Acts 2:1 [Acts 4:32-35; Eph 4:3]
- What results were produced by the Holy Spirit’s influence?
Acts 2:37-41 [Acts 4:4; 5:14; 6:7]
- The Spirit works to convict and convert everyone, but after conversion He gives various gifts for witnessing. How many receive these gifts from the Spirit, and are the gifts the same?
1 Cor. 12:4-7 [1 Cor. 12:14-27]
- Who decides what gifts a person receives?
1 Cor. 12:11, 18 [Eph. 4:11-13]
- What gifts does Paul list in his letter to the Romans, and how should they be used?
Rom. 12:4-12 [Note: We might call some of these gifts “natural talents,” but even natural talents have been entrusted to us to be used for God, and when the Holy Spirit takes control of these talents they become effective for winning souls to Jesus. 1 Cor. 12:7-10]
- What abilities do you have that the Holy Spirit could use to win souls?
[Suggestions: The ability to use the telephone for Christ, visiting, giving these same Bible studies to someone else, encouraging the discouraged, hospitality that witness, giving out literature, sharing your testimony, writing letters that witness, praying for others, musical abilities, raising children for Christ, bringing others to church, financially supporting God’s work, gospel medical missionary abilities. . . . Matt. 25:14-30
We are all saved for service, and only through service can we maintain a living, growing relationship with Christ.
Won’t you make it a lifelong goal to work and witness for Christ, starting today?
- BIBLE STUDY | LESSON 5: The New Birth
- BIBLE STUDY | LESSON 24: Baptism
- BIBLE STUDY | LESSON 2: How To Pray
- BIBLE STUDY | LESSON 4: Jesus, Our Friend
- BIBLE STUDY | LESSON S-1: Is the Bible God’s Word?
- BIBLE STUDY | LESSON 13: By What Standard Will We Be Judged?
- BIBLE STUDY | LESSON 18: Would a God of Love Burn Sinners Forever?
- BIBLE STUDY | LESSON 27: God’s Treasurers